ŠKOJI (local name)

Is a group of islands in Korčula Archipelago, located in Pelješac Channel. There are all together 19 small islands that form this archipelago. Their names are: Badija, Kamenjak, Gojak, Planjak, Vrnik, Majsan, Majsanic, Gubavac, Knezic, Bisace, Sutvara, Stupe, Baretica, Lucnjak, Sestrice (Vela and Mala Sestrica), Gubavac and Skripnjak.

Škoji Islands are located near the eastern end of the island of Korčula, islands are popular destination for day trips from surrounding area with taxi boats or by renting a boat. Some of the islands are inhabited and on some there are cultural remains in its ruins. Here are some of them:

BADIJA

Badija is the bigest island, where the sports – recreation centre was situated in the buildings and surroundings of the old Franciscan monastery, which was built in 1392 on the site of an earlier one, and it was enlarged in pased century. Next to the church and the chapel of Saint Cross with its Baroque altar by Giorgio Masario (18th century) are the Gothic cloisters with arcades from 1475. The monastery was closed in 1950, the rich library and valuable works of art were transferred to the churches and monasteries of Korčula, Orebic and Dubrovnik. The monastery was recently given back to Franciscans.

VRNIK

Vrnik is the second largest island in Škoji Archipelago. This is populated island, with the village of the same name. Vrnik is the site of the oldest and most famous Korčula quarry, from which stone were used to buillt Korčula, Dubrovnik, Hagia Sophia, White House and a number of famous buildings in Croatia and all over the world. Vrnik stone stands out by its quality and whitenes. There are only couple of families that presently live in this picturesque village. Only private boats and taxi boats sail to the island.

MAJSAN

Majsan was inhabited since prehistoric times until the Middle Ages. There is an early Christian church from the 5th century, which is the oldest church in hole region. These early buildings (ruins) are still visible on the western coast of the islet. Remains proving that there was life here from ancient Greek times to the early Middle Ages, what can also be seen on the other islets of this group. In year 1000, Venetian doge Petar II Orseolo lead his conquest of the south Dalmatian archipelago and the town of Dubrovnik from Majsan.

GUBAVAC

Gubavac is island located at the very entrance of bay of Lumbarda. It is attractive little island with weird shape and lot of large, flat and smooth rocks that are very comfortable to lay on. That is why swimmers and sunbathers like to spend their day here, especially at the Eastern side of the island which is well sheltered from western wind mistral. Gubavac got its name from medieval times when island was used as quarantine for Korčula visitors. Gubavac means leprosy man (guba=leprosy) .

SUTVARA

Sutvara is island located at the very east of Škoji archipelago, it is an unpopulated island. There are old quarries on the island of Sutvara too, as well as vineyards that belong to familys form Lumbarda. There is also a tiny pebble beach on the western side of Sutvara.

STUPE

Stupe are two small islands, one much larger than another, that are located at the further east of Škoji archipelago. On the largest one, named Vela Stupa, there is a small “Konoba” (Tavern) for visitors of Škoji to enjoy authentic food and drinks. Mala Stupa (smaller Stupa island) is known among locals as place where you can go to jump to the sea from the tall rock which stands above the water and can be easily climbed to jump down. Water beneath the rock is deep enough to jump feet first. It is not recommended to jump head first!

BARETICA

Baretica is small island located between Badija and Planjak. The name Baretica in English means small hat, reflecting the shape of the island. Baretica has some good spots under the pine trees to enjoy shade during summer heat. However, the rocks on its shores are rough making it difficult to walk around barefoot.

SESTRICE

Sestrice – twin islands called Vela Sestrica and Mala Sestrica (Large and Small Sister). The lighthouse on the island of Vela Sestrica was built in 1871 by Autro-Hungarian Empire which used to be home of lighthouse master and his family until very recently. The buildings is now deserted as navigation lights are automated.

Is a group of islands in Korčula Archipelago, located in Pelješac Channel. There are all together 19 small islands that form this archipelago. Their names are: Badija, Kamenjak, Gojak, Planjak, Vrnik, Majsan, Majsanic, Gubavac, Knezic, Bisace, Sutvara, Stupe, Baretica, Lucnjak, Sestrice (Vela and Mala Sestrica), Gubavac and Skripnjak.

Skoji Islands are located near the eastern end of the island of Korčula, islands are popular destination for day trips from surrounding area with taxi boats or by renting a boat. Some of the islands are inhabited and on some there are cultural remains in its ruins. Here are some of them:

Badija is the bigest island, where the sports – recreation centre was situated in the buildings and  surroundings of the old Franciscan monastery, which was built in 1392 on the site of an earlier one, and it was enlarged in pased century. Next to the church and the chapel of Saint Cross with its Baroque altar by Giorgio Masario (18th century) are the Gothic cloisters with arcades from 1475. The monastery was closed in 1950, the rich library and valuable works of art were transferred to the churches and monasteries of Korčula, Orebic and Dubrovnik. The monastery was recently given back to Franciscans.

Vrnik is the second largest island in Skoji Archipelago. This is populated island, with the village of the same name. Vrnik is the site of the oldest and most famous Korčula quarry, from which stone were used to buillt  Korčula, Dubrovnik, Hagia Sophia, White House and a number of famous buildings in Croatia and all over the world. Vrnik stone stands out by its quality and whitenes. There are only couple of families that presently live in this picturesque village. Only private boats and taxi boats sail to the island.

Majsan was inhabited since prehistoric times until the Middle Ages. There is an early Christian church  from the 5th century, which is the oldest church in hole region. These early buildings (ruins) are still visible on the western coast of the islet. Remains proving that there was life here from ancient Greek times to the early Middle Ages, what can also be seen on the other islets of this group. In year 1000, Venetian doge Petar II Orseolo lead his conquest of the south Dalmatian archipelago and the town of Dubrovnik from Majsan.

Gubavac is island located at the very entrance of bay of Lumbarda. It is attractive little island with weird shape and lot of large, flat and smooth rocks that are very comfortable to lay on. That is why swimmers and sunbathers like to spend their day here, especially at the Eastern side of the island which is well sheltered from western wind mistral. Gubavac got its name from medieval times when island was used as quarantine for Korčula visitors. Gubavac means leprosy man (guba=leprosy) .

Sutvara is island located at the very east of Skoji archipelago, it is an unpopulated island. There are old quarries on the island of Sutvara too, as well as vineyards that belong to familys form Lumbarda. There is also a tiny pebble beach on the western side of Sutvara.

Stupe are two small islands, one much larger than another, that are located at the further east of Skoji archipelago. On the largest one, named  Vela Stupa, there is a small “Konoba” (Tavern) for visitors of Skoji to enjoy authentic food and drinks. Mala Stupa (smaller Stupa island) is known among locals as place where you can go to jump to the sea from the tall rock which stands above the water and can be easily climbed to jump down. Water beneath the rock is deep enough to jump feet first. It is not recommended to jump head first!

Baretica is small island located between Badija and Planjak. The name Baretica in English means small hat, reflecting the shape of the island. Baretica has some good spots under the pine trees to enjoy shade during summer heat. However, the rocks on its shores are rough making it difficult to walk around barefoot.

Sestrice – twin islands called  Vela Sestrica  and  Mala Sestrica (Large and Small Sister). The lighthouse on the island of Vela Sestrica was built in 1871 by Autro-Hungarian Empire which used to be home of lighthouse master and his family until very recently. The buildings is now deserted as navigation lights are automated.

Razglasite:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Comments are closed.